Saturday, 25 February 2012

Artefact 1 Evaluation


Artefact 1 Evaluation
My initial goal for my first artefact was to produce a graphic representation of the things that I had learnt whilst performing my literature review. I understood that when presenting the research you assume the audience has no knowledge of what your research is about.
I used simple photographs to demonstrate the difference between different positioning of the subject in the shot. I used simple drawn storyboard panels to demonstrate composition in relation to the vanishing point.
I also drew a few panels of shots I found from a number of films demonstrating the effect of the previously mentioned composition techniques on multiple characters.
When I presented the artefact to Baris in the tutorial, he responded positively to it.
He suggested an approach for the initial sequence of artefacts that goes as follows -
Artefact one - what is the camera's role?
Artefact two - what can be done with the camera, what's currently done with the camera?
Artefact three - what am I going to do with the camera?
He suggested that I should state these in the viva voce so the purpose of each artefact is more clear.
I will combine the first two artefacts - demonstrating what the camera is used for lends itself to using examples I find used in existing films, which covers what people are currently doing with the camera.
By combining the second artefact idea into the first I strengthen the first artefact - I now have evidence of the compositional elements I have spoken about which backs them up. I also took note of the narrative at each shot that I used to make sure the shot is being used to contribute to the narrative  in the way my research suggests it should.
Baris suggested I look at camera movement, which is often used to create more of a connection between the viewer and the film. I may avoid this to save broadening my topic too much, something he warned me about.

No comments:

Post a Comment