Saturday, 28 May 2011

Design Practice 3 Complete!


To celebrate finishing this project, I'm actually embedding it into my blog page.

This project was interesting, it was quite fun.

It was good to work with something that was quite specific. Having a massive blank canvas can be tricky. The idea changed slightly since its conception. Originally set in a cave, I was persuaded to have it set outside because caves are dark and lame, and the characters are insects that typically spend a great deal of time outside in the grass.

The project didn't start moving properly until I had knuckled down and figured out what to do for the music. I genuinely tried to record my own stuff but I'm good at making song-type stuff, not solo type stuff, and I'm not really a very clean guitarist so it was taking a long time to get a clear recording. In the end I went for a modified dragonforce song, I heard it and realised it was about the right length, with a break in the middle I could split it at.

Figuring out how to do the background was good, I wanted to use ink and paint which gave me the advantage of being able to use a layered background. The question was, how to produce this in 3d?

I was originally going to make a background in after effects. I tested this out but I found it didn't produce the result I want, and it was more difficult than using 3DSMax, and it would've made the process lengthier.

I settled with creating a series of rings meaning I had 360 degrees of potential camera direction to operate within - a flat one would give me only a very small amount.


I chose this idea because it fit the brief - I interpreted it as a scene that needed some conflict between a student and a teacher. The idea of using insects was the whole kung-fu student grasshopper thing. Praying mantis are also associated with kung-fu, hence the choice to use those two insects.

The idea of an air guitar battle, ha, that was simply deciding what kind of funny thing I could have the characters do that could still be an obvious battle. My brother suggested tiddlywinks. This would be funny, but it would be difficult to make it funny for a longer amount of time. Air guitar lends itself to humour!

Wednesday, 11 May 2011

Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Three trees!

I'm a busy gardener today, I've already planted a hedge and three trees.

Background test ver. 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 3.0


Remodelled hills and now featuring distant bushes!

Further improvements include near trees and grass.

Updated bushes.



Bushes are tiled, making them appear less stretched.


Now featuring cardboard cutout trees!


Slight grain on the tree makes it look paper textured.




Here is a better pose.

Background test

Depth of Field Enabled

Depth of Field Disabled

I've ditched the super-compositing technique I was thinking of before. After playing with it it seems like I'd end up using more time than if I relied more on 3DS max.

This is only a draft copy of my environment! There's more to come.

After seeing it without DOF, I think I'll stick to that. That's a relief! It saves time AND looks better. Now that's the kind of thing we're looking for.

Monday, 9 May 2011

Sneaky Peek

I haven't posted anything for ages because I've been cracking on with the project.

Jonny posted a test render so of course that means I have to too.

Vimeo link right here.


I thought of a tricksy way to do the background and environment, and I have to say... thanks to Simon for the idea.

One more thing. After completing the enveloping stage in max, I feel like I've walked through hell and come out only fainly smelling of smoke.

Monday, 2 May 2011

Morpheus Morphing Morpher Expressions.

Angry face


Happy face


What face